I contacted Steve DaSilva (treekutter) about digging some more tridents from his property. He said sure, and that he would be taking more out himself because he wants to start some more. I have him talked into selling on ebay so I hope he digs some out and makes them available soon. He will only ship during bare root season. I was able to spend about two hours with Steve and we talked about all things bonsai. I have known Steve for thirty years and we both started at the Fresno club around the same time. He is a really good bonsai friend.
This is the small plot containing the tridents, Elms, olives, pines, juniper and twisted pomagranite. A few crabapples out there too!
One of the pigs already dug. Looks like a volcano. The soil is really sandy and they only take about 10 or 15 minutes to dig out. Shake em off, put them in a container and fill it with medium till I get home to prepare the bases.
Here is a closeup on my tailgate.
When I got them home, I had stopped at the local cash crop supply store to pick up some new buckets to chop down. That is what the skill saw is for, the other saw is to knock down the rootage.
I purchased five 7 gallon nursery containers. I cut them down with the skill saw in about thirty seconds.
This maple has much more movement than the other. I started here first.
Here is the business end of the first one.
My hand shows where I plan on taking it down to. I just cut through it with the recip saw.
Here is the bottom cut after sawing it free of the large tap root. It is just flat cut. the large horizontal roots I will just leave. They will push roots out all over them and they will rot back and I can just cut them off or back shorter next year.
Filled all the drainage areas with mesh to keep the soil in.
The tree planted up. After it was planted I attended to shortening the apex.
I was able to take it back to this shoot which happened to be in the most perfect place. Sealed up everything with the kionyl.
I shall call this one “Fat Bastard”
The second tree had a much bigger problem underneath to deal with. It will take two seasons to get the base pared back to a manageble size and ever have chance to fit into a pot.
You can make out a natural division in the tap root which is where I made the first cut.
This is how the bottom should be treated to make sure one has maximum callas area exposed to the soil. Roots will issue all around the cut areas which are pointed down. Once roots start they can be cut back shorter the next repot.
I think Steve used an arbor tech or similer to dress up the wound areas. I find that with uneven surfaces it gives the lava flowing scar tissue something to hang up on and stall. I fired up the die grinder and took it down all nice and smooth.
All slathered up with the wound sealer and planted up.
This pig is about the same height as a cola can and is a full 6 inches across at the soil with about another inch or more beneath the soil that can be uncovered at next repot. Truly a sumo sized pig. I shall call it “Porky”