Today was sunny and bright in Fresno California, 55 degrees and just a trace of wind. Still had to work in a sweat shirt, but it was a welcome relief from the constant drizzle of the past few weeks. I started by using the three tridents in the original post when I was bored and took them from the pots. This first tree would proove unsuitable for the project as it did not cooperate with the other two trees. I was able to find a suitable replacement that had exactly what I needed both for flare and branches as well as size and shape. Notice how each tree was weak with roots on exactly the side I needed the tree to not have roots. Funny how that works.
The third tree was prepared and placed into position. Notice how the third tree had the perfect shape to lend an additional flare to the bottom of the trunk and continue a nice line on down to the soil. I enlisted the help of my wife to get a couple wraps of electrical tape around the trunks to hold them into position while I prepared them for grafting. Electrical tape has a huge amount of stretch to it making it ideal for this sort of work. You can really pull it tight and get a good amount of pressure on the wood.
Once I had all the areas scarred for grafting I applied the green goo to seal it up and. Then I applied a heavy duty wrap of electrical tape above and below the first wrap. I applied the wrap 6 wraps thick, stretching in between each wrap for maximum pressure. I cut away the first wrap exposing the areas not scarred yet. Used the saw again to cut away a mating surface and wrapped the whole thing up with an additional 6 wraps of tape in that area.
In this photo the tree now has a two inch trunk. The small wire in the top of the picture is the place where I cut the tape after wrapping the entire tree in more tape as tight as I could pull it without breaking. The wire holds the end of the tape firm so it will not start unwrapping due to water.
One of the other tree too had a bad place that I dressed and sealed. the reason I do this is to grind back down to green cambium all the way around and then smooth it and seal it. Since it will not dry out and dessicate, it will allow the tree the time needed to callus and start healing. The roll of callus under the seal will start to show in as little as 3 weeks once the growing season starts. It will just heal quickly under the goo and will fall off in about three years.
The pot was finished up with soil and poked with a chopstick to make sure I had no pockets.
All the sides. Nothing to do now but drink beer and wait for spring.