Today marked the beginning of repotting for me. All the deciduous tree will be repotted over the next few weekends. Buds are swelling and if the weather holds they will be pushing over the next few weeks and leaves will be coming out by Feb. 1st.
I still have tridents with green leaves on them. Not much of a winter at all. Get ready for $6.00 heads of lettuce folks!
This year the concentration is on building branches. The primaries have been built and elongation and cutting back will be performed many times on the tree this year. I have decided to place them in training bonsai pots. These are by no means show pots, these are cheap pots I have been purchasing for a couple years to grow out these tridents as they build branches. In some cases the trees may look good in them and sometimes the pots are too small or too large. My reason is simply to slow the trees down. The baskets make coarse growth and now I am more into refining. Last year snails really did a number on all the tridents. All the larger dug from the field tridents were in colanders on the ground and the snails ate the new emerging leaves every night. In some cases branches were ruined and lost and new branches had to be built. I figure I was set back two years with this loss of growth. This year all the tridents will be on the benches with snail bait of the benches and I should be OK. The only thing I have on the ground right now are pines which the snails absolutely hate.
This is one of the dug maples. It is moving in the right direction except that some of the branching was stunted last year. I am convinced that snails have some sort of toxic substance in the trail they leave.
This is the result of last year in the colander. all of the stubs that I cut in half with the cut side down pushed roots all around the exposed cambium edge.
here is a good root that shot right out of the edge of the trunk I flattened with the bandsaw. I treat my tridents pertty rough to move them along quickly.
here is the bottom of the trunk with the large exposed flat cut from the bandsaw. A roll of callus can be seen foring here along the edge.
Here is a good side shot of the roots I cut in half last year. lots of roots emerging from the cut end.
Here is the root pad trimmed back and ready to be planted in the training pot.
here is another I worked on. The small green pot holds another trident sapling that will be used to graft a branch on to this tree. The graft can be seen at the two thirds up the trunk point. The small black tips sticking out are from zip ties used to hold the graft in place and some RV window putty is used in a small sheet to seal the graft. The color is a gray green color which matches maple bark pretty good.
This is what the other maple looked like after potting. Pot is a little large, but I only paid like $25.00 for it at last years swapmeet. I bought five pots at 2013 swapmeet for this part of the growing phase.
I also transplanted the large cork elm in this sporty green and maroon pot. This pot could have been larger, but the depth is about right. Still working on branches on this one and this pot will help slow it down.